Pay it Forward: Become a Supporter of the Work. Learn More
This article was previously published in 2016.
Welcome to the month of the Gemini.
In Hebrew we call Gemini, Te’omim, which means “twins,” and very rightly so since the energy of this sign expresses the concept of duality. If you know a Gemini, you understand that he or she can be one person today and somebody else tomorrow! Geminis have an uncanny ability to change their position and their minds. Trying to keep up with one is like trying to catch air, because they are always on the move, involved in different things, on to “the next thing...the next thing…the next thing.” A Gemini can begin a project with a lot of gusto and excitement, only to later lose interest, or become too busy with doing too many projects at one time.
The planet that rules Gemini is Mercury. Mercury is the very small, very quick planet of communication. It is also a planet of extremes and duality. Physically, for example, it lacks an atmosphere and therefore experiences temperatures ranging from as hot as approximately 425 degrees Celsius to as cold as -173 degrees Celsius.
Geminis have the gift of communication. Charming, smart, and adaptable, they are usually quick, innovative thinkers. They can devise plans and strategies at the drop of a hat, and they make great politicians, or on the other side, great criminals. Famous people born under this sign include Mario Cuomo and JFK.
All of us, Gemini or not, will be influenced by these energies in the coming weeks. So here are 6 tips we can use to transform ourselves and reveal Light in our lives and the world this month.
1. Follow up. We all love to start things, but it can be much harder to follow through and finish. This month, practice resisting distraction and the urge to “drop it all” and move on. I don’t mean start and finish a novel in one day, but do bring this consciousness and intention to small daily tasks.
2. Go Deep. Whatever it is we are working on — a new business or a new procedure or whatever it might be — take the time to learn it thoroughly.
3. Seek balance. As we said, Gemini is a month of polarity, of extremes, and it will serve us to use our power to create balance. Scan the Zohar, meditate, get outside, volunteer; use all the tools in the box to keep an even keel.
4. Remember the “why.” Contrary to what we often think when we feel our spiritual work is some sort of moral obligation, God does not need our prayers. He does not need us showing up and doing spiritual connections; he does not need us to share or volunteer. We do these things because we need Him. It is through our spiritual efforts and positive actions that we can balance our own negativity and thereby reveal more of the Creator’s Light in the world.
5. Take Responsibility. This month is time to say, “This is where I am. This is what I have done.” It is a time to be clear, own mistakes, and resist the desire to please everyone.
6. Help people. Helping people is more important than gaining wisdom. It is great to learn as much as we can, but if all we learn just remains within us, then what is it all for? One candle brings light, but if we can take our light and be better for it, then we can potentially light many other candles. The best way to influence others is to model all the good spiritual concepts we learn — to be kind, to be helpful, and to treat others with human dignity.
The main thing for this beautiful month of Gemini is to remember that our efforts are not for ourselves alone. Everything we do to create spiritual impact in our own lives, initiates healing for the whole world.